- 1 tablespoon ragi, soaked
- 4-5 fenugreek seeds, soaked with ragi
- 2 tablespoons parboiled rice, soaked
- ½ tablespoon raw rice, soaked
- 1 tablespoon split skinless black gram, soaked
- A pinch of salt
Age Group: 10 months to 12 months
- 1 Drain and grind the ragi and fenugreek seeds with sufficient water to a smooth paste. Transfer into a deep bowl.
- 2 Drain the parboiled rice, rice and black gram and grind with sufficient water to a slightly coarse batter. Transfer this into the same bowl.
- 3 Add the salt and mix both the batters thoroughly with hand. Cover and keep the bowl in a warm place overnight to ferment.
- 4 Heat two cups of water in a steamer. Lightly stir the batter and pour into lightly oiled dents in idli trays, taking care not to fill the dents upto the brim. Fit the trays onto the stand and keep it in the steamer, cover and steam for ten minutes.
- 5 Pierce an idli with a toothpick to check if it is done. It should come out clean.
- 6 Take the idli stand out of the steamer and set aside to cool slightly. Spoon the idlis out and keep them covered with a damp muslin cloth till it is time to serve.
- 7 Serve.
- Calories (kcal) – 239.2
- Carbohydrates (gm) -50.3
- Protein (gm) – 7.77
- Fats (gm)- 0.94
- Iron (mg)- 1.56
- Calcium (mg) – 82.15